photo credits @ Tinkoff
It’s been an on-again, off-again thing with Alberto Contador over the last year, regarding his decision as to either retire or continue racing.
Over the weekend however, the Spanish rider told the French newspaper, L’Equipe, that he now plans to continue racing, after allegedly finalizing a contract to ride for a new team over the next two years.
The 33-year-old rider, whose current Tinkoff team will fold at the end of this season, was speaking at a press conference prior to yesterday’s opening Prologue of the Criterium du Dauphiné, which he later won and took possession of the race’s first leader’s jersey.
“This won’t me my last season, I can guarantee that,” said Contador, who revealed earlier this year that he was rethinking his plans to retire at the end of 2016.
“The support of fans on the road and on social networks has made me think a lot, and it’s convinced me to continue” he added.
“Also, I feel physically better than ever before. If I’d felt I’d lost 1 per cent of my level in training, my decision would have been different,” he went on to say.
Contador said he would not officially reveal the details of his contract until August 1, the date when his contract with Tinkoff officially ends.
You must be logged in to post a comment.