photo credits @ FDJ
Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) won today’s Individual Time Trial (ITT) at the Tour de Romandie in Sion, after eclipsing Tom Dumoulin’s (Giant-Alpecin) earlier benchmark by two seconds.
The French rider was well up on Dumoulin’s time at the halfway point, and from there, managed to maintain enough momentum during the second half of the course, to seize the stage honors with the fastest time of 20:21.
Meanwhile, despite experiencing a puncture, race favorite Chris Froome (Team Sky) led the stage, after setting the fastest time that was 4 seconds under Pinot. But, his benchmark was later beaten by Bob Jungels (Etixx-Quick Step) by less than a second.
Race leader Nairo Quintana (Movistar) put in a strong performance against the, finishing with the same time as Froome, to hold on to his overall lead, with Pinot moving up to second spot in the classification.
Dumoulin’s time was enough to move him up to fifth place in the standings, with Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha) and Ion Izagirre (Movistar) moving down to third and fourth respectively.
Tour de Romandie stage three, Sion – Sion (15.1km ITT)
1. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ, 20-21
2. Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Giant-Alpecin, at 2s
3. Bob Jungels (Lux) Etixx-Quick Step, at 9s
4. Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky, st
5. Jerome Coppel (Fra) IAM Cycling, st
6. Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar, st
7. Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha, at 17s
8. Ion Izagirre (Esp) Movistar, at 18s
9. Steve Morabito (Swi) FDJ, at 22s
10. Manuele Boaro (Ita) Tinkoff, at 25s
Overall standings after stage three
1. Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar, 7-22-35
2. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ, at 23s
3. Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha, at 26s
4. Ion Izagirre (Esp) Movistar, at 29s
5. Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Giant-Alpecin, at 50s
6. Matthias Frank (Swi) IAM Cycling, at 1-06
7. Simon Spilak (Slo) Katusha, at 1-11
8. Rui Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida, at 1-12
9. Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC, at 1-22
10. Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff, at 1-23
You must be logged in to post a comment.