Annemiek van Vleuten claimed the women’s individual time trial at the UCI Road World Championships in Beergen, Norway today, after the Dutch rider set the fastest time of 28:50 along the the 21.1 kilometer course – beating compatriot Anna van der Breggen by 12 seconds.
Meanwhile, Australian rider Katrin Garfoot rounded out the podium in third, at 19 seconds down on van Vleuten.
“I still cannot believe it. This season I’ve surprised myself with what I can do”, said a jubilant Van Vleuten. “To be world champion in the time trial, I never thought I’d be able to do this. This year I started to believe in it, and to be able to finish it off is incredible.
“To be an athlete, there are ups and downs, but the downs make the ups even more beautiful, I think. It’s also really beautiful without the crash in Rio, but this makes the story really special.”
Van der Breggen set the early benchmark with a time of 29:02:51, which saw her sitting on the hot seat for most of the day.
This time was then beaten by van Vleuten, who set a blistering time around today’s course.
In the meantime, fellow Dutch rider Ellen Van Dijk underperformed in today’s time trial event, managing only fifth place finish behind Chloe Dygert of the United States.
1. Annemiek van Vleuten, Netherlands, in 28:50.35
2. Anna van der Breggen, Netherlands, at :12.16
3. Katrin Garfoot, Australia, at :18.93
4. Chloe Dygert, United States, at :37.95
5. Ellen van Dijk, Netherlands, at :52.06
6. Linda Villumsen, Australia, at :55.73
7. Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio, South Africa, at :1:18.53
8. Lauren Stephens, United States, at 1:19.86
9. Hannah Barnes, Great Britain, at 1:23.42
10. Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig, Denmark, at 1:34.09
You must be logged in to post a comment.