Call it a retro thing, but cyclists seem to have developed an attraction for lace-up riding shoes over the last few years – that harken back to the "golden era" of cycling.
Not surprisingly, Giro announced the launch of it’s new Empire SLX road shoe last week, as a sequel to it’s popular Empire model.
Already ridden to victory in this year’s Tour of California, the new Empire SLX weighs in at a feathery 175 grams, which features none other than Easton’s super stiff EC90 SLXII carbon sole.
According to Giro, the shoe will be available this fall with a hefty price tag of $350.
THE OFFICIAL WORD: GIRO’S PRESS RELEASE
Giro Sport Design has announced the Empire SLX, a new shoe that redefines road footwear performance. Weighing an astonishing 175 grams, it features the unrivaled comfort and adjustability of a lace closure, plus an Easton EC90TM SLXII carbon outsole that delivers all the stiffness and efficiency demanded by world-class professionals. Already ridden to victory in the Amgen Tour of California, the Empire SLX will be available this fall for $350/ €300.
“The Empire SLX is a triumph of Giro’s parallel pursuit of technology and design,” said Giro Senior Brand Manager Eric Richter. “Thanks to its timeless style and world-class performance, the original Empire has been a runaway success. The Empire SLX takes cycling footwear to a new level of comfort and minimalism.” Like the original Empire, the Empire SLX was designed with close input from world-class professionals, particularly BMC Racing Team’s Taylor Phinney, current USA National Time Trial Champion and winner of Stage 5 of the 2014 Amgen Tour of California. The Empire SLX mates a one-piece upper crafted of premium Teijin Evofiber SL breathable microfiber to a Easton® EC90TM SLXII high-modulus carbon sole, utilizing titanium hardware in the replaceable heel pads to further minimize weight.
Giro Empire SLX Highlights:
– Benchmark Low Weight: At a mere 175g for size 42.5, the Empire SLX is one of the lightest production ?cycling shoes ever made, and is even considerably lighter than many custom cycling shoes
– Superior Laced Closure: Giro employs KDL Techno Laces to deliver unrivaled fit and feel. Originally ?developed for world cup-level soccer boots, KDL Techno laces hold knots securely, resist stretching, and are supremely lightweight. Laces are also extremely difficult to destroy in a crash, but, unlike ratchet or buckle systems, are simple to replace if need be.
– Easton® EC90TM SLXII Outsole: Working closely with Easton®, Giro developed an optimal stiffness profile while minimizing weight and maintaining an ultra-low 6.5mm stack height, improving performance and efficiency without compromising comfort.
– Exceptional Breathability: A new Teijin EvofiberTM SL one-piece upper allows heat and moisture to escape from inside without relying on mesh cut-outs which can compromise fit and add weight.
– Adjustable SuperNatural Fit Kit: The SuperNatural Fit system combines a thin, cycling-specific footbed with an adjustable arch support system that allows riders to custom-tune their fit right out of the box, without any tools or hassles, and features a thin, anti-microbial X-Static top layer.
– The Giro Empire SLX will be available worldwide Fall 2014 for $350/ €350 in anodized orange and white/ black. More information may be found at www.giro.com/empireslx.
You must be logged in to post a comment.